Friday, May 1, 2009

Uncle John

Some of you know my Uncle John on my mom's side. He is now being welcomed into the Kingdom of Heaven. No memorial service is planned. So I thought it would be a good idea to put a little something for him here.

Uncle John was a Character! In his younger years he was a little wild and crazy. Boy could he spend some tales! I sometime could not tell when it was fact or fiction. He was such a jokester. He was also a very loving and caring person if you could get through that tough exterior of his.

Uncle John and I were not that close due to miles and time. But I do think I have a little bit of him in me. I think that is where Petunia picks up some of her personality. That could be scary.

Yes Uncle John was a, Husband, father, brother, uncle....etc. But he did so much more. So I would like to share a few special memories of him that I have.

1) He was a Truck Driver. I always thought it would be neat to be able to drive across this great country and see it's beauty.
2) He was a cowboy on a ranch in Colorado. A true cowboy!
3) He introduced me to the Payday candy bar. I don't eat them often but when I do I think of him.
3) A quilt made of Jeans. That was so neat to me as a child. It was just jeans that were worn out or too small that was sewn together. Yes there were pockets in it too. Some day I would like to make one.
4) Cold candy bars. We were on a trip to Oklahoma and we were in the back of the truck with a camper on it. (Remember when you could do that?) It was hot so when we stop for gas, Uncle John came back out with everyone a cold candy bar. So did I enjoy it because I was hot and the candy bar was cold or because the candy bar was good, cold.
5) I told you he could spin some tells. Well without explaining why, I will NOT eat sauerkraut to this day because of how he said he was made. I know how it is made but......
6) When ever he addressed me he always called me Tressia Lynn.
7) I rarely received a call from Uncle John but when I did it was important. It happen twice and both times I jumped right on it. I guess I never wanted to disappoint him.
8) He loved to get together for a good poker game. No I never attended any but I was around long enough to hear him start gearing everyone up for the games. He got out his change jar and would start counting his money. Or he would pop off how much he was going to win from everyone. That was my cue to leave . You know I think our game nights at my house may be a little similar. FUN!

Again Uncle John was a wild, crazy guy. But FUN! He tried to come off as a tough old guy and maybe he was. In my eyes he was someone who was not afraid to take life by the horns. Yes he had his ups and downs. His bumps and bruises. Don't each of us when it comes to LIFE!
I know that Time and Aunt Barbara mellowed him out over the years but he was still My Uncle John!

Heaven is just a little bit livlier this morning.

Love, Tressia Lynn

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I don't remember Uncle John, but from the memories you shared, mom, he sounds like a great person. He is now with his Creator, and out of any pain he may have been in.