Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Brylee's Has Her Own Room

As many of you know Spike Jones our iguana of 16 years passed away back in September. The room he was in was once Jennifer's playroom. Then it was her study that she shared with Ralph our snake. Then Jennifer & Spike shared the room. Then Spike took it over & it was his room/ junk room.

Many asked if I would turn the room into a grandchildren room once we heard we were going to be grandparents. I told them no because for one reason Spike's cage was to big to move out. Another reason was we knew the Family would be moving & to walk into that room after they left would make the move harder on me. Actually I had planned on making it my room. Okay a guest room done in a Native American Indian theme. With a white cedar post bed & all.

Well after Spike died I started putting ideas down for the room. Well my thoughts kept going back to Brylee needing a bed which meant a room of her own. One she could play & sleep in. Her pack & play was set up in the reading area of our bedroom. I loved to wake up listening to her talk or play the weekends she stayed with us. She could not sleep in the pack & play forever. I thought of getting her an air mattress & putting it in the room but that would not work for long & she would need her own space. So after sitting down with Bryan I decided to make the room into the grandchildren room, or for now Brylee's room. I tried to keep it a secret from Jennifer but when packages started coming to the house she asked what were in the boxes & I finally told her my idea. She seemed to love it & I told her I would not tell her anything else until she saw it at Christmas.

I had to be sure the room would be decorated so anyone would feel comfortable staying in it. Male/female. Young/old. I had to be sure that the room would and could reflect additional grandchildren. Thanks to all my friends & family I think we did it. They either let me bounce ideas off them, or helped me make something for the room, or giving me web-sites to look at. It was fun! This room is not finished & will not be for a few years. It will grow with Brylee & any other grandchildren we might have.

Of course I had to add some personal touches. I sanded & painted a step stool that Jennifer had as a child so Brylee could use it to get into the bed. I painted the light switch in stripes to give the room a personal touch. I really need to just cover it in cloth but Jennifer said to leave it. As we come across items through out the house we go put it into Brylee's room.

It was so hard not to mention anything about the room to Jenn. There were times I wanted to bounce ideas off on her. To make it special for Brylee, we got her a Christmas tree to decorate. A purple Christmas tree. Brylee is too young to understand what went into making this HER room. To her it was just another room she plays & sleeps in.

Bryan & I went through the room & made all plugs had covers. We got a hide a rail for her bed to keep her from falling out. of the bed. I was worried that it would not be tall enough but once we put Brylee to bed the first night I was okay with our choice. Brylee was now a big girl with a big girl room.

So, now after 16 years this room has a new identity, it is now Brylee's room!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

it's an awesome room, and I bet Brylee will be excited to go back in there when we come visit again. :o)